Man barricaded and allegedly shot at a SWAT team in Taylorsville was taken into custody on Saturday evening


An impasse arose after police responded to a report of domestic violence; suspect arrested for assaulting both parents.

(Sara Tabin | The Salt Lake Tribune) Unified Police were at the scene in Taylorsville, near the 5000 block of S. Queenswood, where a person allegedly fired a gun at officers on Saturday April 17, 2021.

A long standoff near S. Queenswood Drive and Baringwood Circle in Taylorsville ended just before 10 p.m. Saturday night when police arrested a man who had barricaded himself in a house and fired shots at officers.

A large area had been blocked off with yellow tape and was swarming with police, gunshots crossing intermittently at night and the wind blowing tear gas across the street.

The man was barricaded, police said, after what they called an incident of domestic violence between an adult man and his parents.

Unified Police Sgt. Melody Cutler said the father was taken to hospital. She said the call arrived at 4:14 p.m. on Saturday. Police posted on Twitter around 7 p.m. that the subject shot SWAT officers.

Cutler said he was taken into custody shortly before 10 p.m. She said he did not surrender voluntarily but was not injured during his arrest.

“Our SWAT team is doing a good job,” she said.

The arrest report said both parents of the suspect had visible black eyes, but were able to leave the house just before police arrived to investigate. He also said that the suspect’s father had called the police.

Police attempted to remove the suspect from his home and surrender, but he refused.

Residents living nearby said they heard police tell the suspect to come out with his hands raised before the shooting started.

Spencer Kauer, who was watching the scene from outside the yellow police tape, said police spoke at length about the matter before hearing gunshots. He described them as “a pop here and a pop there” rather than quick shots.

Kauer’s interview with The Salt Lake Tribune was cut short when the air started to smell bad and the reporter and Kauer’s noses started to burn. A policeman recovering equipment from a truck confirmed that the police used tear gas.

More shots started around 8:30 p.m.

The arrest report indicates that the suspect fired shots at several officers and that when the SWAT team’s armored vehicle (known as the “Bearcat”) entered the driveway of the house, the suspect “shot at them, hitting the Bearcat repeatedly. The officer who wrote the report noted that: “After inspecting the vehicle, I saw that several shots in the vehicle were in the front windshield and were aimed directly at the driver of the vehicle. -balls prevented SWAT members from being affected by the series of bullets. “

Several neighboring houses were also hit by the gunfire from the suspect, according to the report.

Neighbor Ryan Lewis left his home on Saturday night because of the loud noises. He decided to wait for the showdown at a nearby friend’s house. Lewis returned around 8:30 p.m. to pick up his dog. He explained to police that the dog was diabetic and couldn’t miss a meal. The police escorted him to retrieve the dog and its food. Lewis said the police were very cordial and “doing good” for him as he and his dog left the scene.

According to the report, after the suspect – who has a history of arrests for domestic violence, elder abuse and aggravated assault – was taken into custody and read his Miranda rights, he “admitted to having shot the police because he said he didn’t have it.

Tribune reporter Eric Walden contributed to this report.

(Sara Tabin | The Salt Lake Tribune) Unified Police were at the scene in Taylorsville, near the 5000 block of S. Queenswood, where a person allegedly fired a gun at officers on Saturday April 17, 2021.


About Wilhelmina Go

Check Also

Lawsuit: 2 Wyoming mentally ill dead, proceedings skipped

By MEAD GRUVERAssociated press CHEYENNE, Wyoming (AP) — Two patients at Wyoming State Hospital died …