HONOLULU – After winning two out of three games in the Hawaiian Airlines Rainbow Wahine Classic, the University of Hawai’i women’s volleyball team will travel to Utah to face two teams from the 2020-21 season NCAA tournament, both classified at national level. The Rainbow Wahine will play Utah Valley and San Diego in the Utah Classic Utah in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area.
|HAWAI’I (2-1, 0-0 Big West) at Utah Classic|
|Date | Time | Opponent||in Utah Valley – Thursday, September 2 at 1 p.m. HT
vs # 22 San Diego – Friday, September 3 at 8:30 am HT
at # 19 Utah – Saturday, September 4 at 3 p.m. HT
|Site||Orem, Utah (Thursday) & Salt Lake City, Utah (Friday-Saturday)|
|Direct||ESPN + (Thursday), PAC-12 Network Utah Live Stream (Friday-Saturday)|
|Radio||ESPN Honolulu (Thursday-Friday), CBS 1500 (Sunday) / App Sideline Hawaii|
|Live statistics||Utah Valley | San Diego | Utah|
|Play Notes||Hawaii (PDF) | Utah Valley | San Diego | Utah|
|Social media||@HawaiiWVB | #GoBows | @HawaiiWVB | Facebook|
ROBYN AH MOW HEAD COACH
Overall result: 66-22 (4th season)
In Hawai’i: Same
SERIES AGAINST THE UTAH VALLEY
Overall result: UH leads 3-0
Series: Uh, 3
- Hawai’i won the 2019 meeting in four sets.
- The Rainbow Wahine received 11 wins from Van Sickle and 9 from Igiede.
SERIES AGAINST SAN DIEGO
Overall result: UH leads 5-2
Series: Uh, 2
- Is ranked 22nd in the country in the AVCA Coaches poll.
- UH won the first meeting of 2019 in straight sets and swept the NCAA tournament reunion with 12 kills from Hanna Hellvig.
- The third meeting in two seasons played between the two clubs moves to a neutral venue after Hawai’i hosted the USD in August and December 2019.
SERIES AGAINST UTAH
Overall result: UH leads 11-1
Series: UU, 1
- Is ranked 19th in the country in the AVCA Coaches poll.
- The first meeting since 2017, in which the Utes won a 4 sets in Honolulu.
- Hawai’i has won all matches in Salt Lake City (four matches).
- McKenna Grenato posted a record 24 assists in the 2017 loss to Utah.
- The Rainbow Wahine will open the Classic with a match To Utah Valley in Orem, Utah Thursday. The Utah Classic field also includes Cal Poly (which UH won’t be playing this weekend), San Diego and hosts Utah.
- Brooke Van Sickle ranks third nationally in points per set (6.22) and has the 6th most wins per set (ranked 8th) with 5.22 k / s.
- The Rainbow Wahine ranks sixth nationally in assists per set (14.67) and eighth nationally for kills per set (15.22).
- Van Faucille and Amber Igiede have been named to the Hawaiian Airlines Rainbow Wahine Classic tournament team.
- Mia johnson made his first college start and totaled 14 kills on the night. Johnson was 9-0-20 at one point in the game.
- San Diego and Utah Valley were both NCAA Tournament teams in 2020-21.
- Hawai’i sacks three 2019 Team All-Big West winners, including first-team middle blocker selections Amber Igiede and Skyler williams.
- The Big West canceled the 2020-21 women’s volleyball season on December 10, 2020. The Big West and the Ivy League were the only two DI conferences to cancel the fall sports season in 2020-21.
- 23 different schools did not participate in women’s volleyball in 2020-21, the 11 Big West schools, the 8 schools in the Ivy League and Saint Francis (NEC), Saint Peter’s (MAAC), Alabama A&M and Alabama State (SWAC ).
- Five different Rainbow Wahines trained or participated in the BeachBows program last spring. Highlighted by match n ° 1/2 Brooke Van Sickle and Amber Igiede, the BeachBows finished second in the Big West in the conference tournament.
- The Rainbow Wahine were chosen to win the conference by the Big West coaches. The reigning champions of 2019 received seven votes for first place and 117 points in total. Cal Poly received four votes for first place and 11 points in total.
- Hawai’i is the second tallest team in the Great West in 2021, averaging 71.82 inches. The tallest team, Cal Poly, has an average height of 71.91 inches, 0.09 inches taller, or 2.23 millimeters taller.
- The Head Coach Robyn ah mow is entering his fourth season as head coach of the Rainbow Wahine. Ah Mow holds a 64-21 record and a 42-6 Big West record.